How you can eat healthy with seaweed (without giving up burgers and popcorn!)
We promise, it’s not hard to eat healthy with seaweed. You might think it’ll prevent you indulging in the tasty meals you love… but you’re wrong!
When you eat healthy with seaweed, you’re getting all the benefits of seaweed, and you can still enjoy tasty dishes like burgers and popcorn. Here’s how, courtesy of Doctor Seaweed®!
“Why should I eat healthy with seaweed?”
As the number one power plant superfood, seaweed contains all the amino acids, minerals and vitamin groups, and this makes it a great food to get in the habit of eating. It can even help improve your hair, your skin, and may even aid weight management through helping to manage and slow blood sugar release.
That’s not all though! Seaweed is a fantastic source of iodine. As one of only two high-income countries in the world which suffers from iodine deficiency, it’s crucial that here in the UK we make sure we’re getting the iodine our bodies require. Healthy thyroid function, normal cognitive function and normal growth in children are all associated with iodine.
Seaweed also boosts flavour! The common flavour enhancer, Monosodium glutamate (MSG), was originally sourced naturally through seaweed. When you eat healthy with seaweed, you’re reducing the need for as much salt in your meals.
This is just a brief outline for why you should be eating seaweed, and it’s easy to do too!
“How can I eat healthy with seaweed?”
There’re loads of delicious ways to make it fun and tasty to eat healthy with seaweed!
Coconut oil popcorn with nori
When you eat healthy with seaweed you can still enjoy the tasty crunch of popcorn!
– Popcorn kernels (about ½ cup)
– Coconut oil, 2 tablespoons
– Nutritional yeast, 2 tablespoons
– Sriracha, 2 tablespoons
– Nori, 1 sheet cut into small squares
– Add coconut oil to a large hot pan
– Add the kernels when the oil melts and shake the pot to distribute
– Cover the pot and wait for them to pop
– Shake the pan every few seconds to avoid burning
– Wait for the pops to slow. When they stop, remove the pot and uncover
– Sprinkle the yeast, sriracha and nori over the popcorn and mix.
Shrimp burgers with wakame
When you eat healthy with seaweed you can still enjoy a delicious burger! Here’s how.
Ingredients (for 4 burgers):
– 1 ½ pounds of roughly chopped shrimp
– 1 ½ tablespoons of finely chopped basil
– 1 ½ tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro
– 1 ½ tablespoons of fish sauce
– 1 inch of lemongrass stalk
– 1 inch of peeled ginger
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 3 tablespoons of finely chopped shallots
– ½ tablespoon of corn starch
– ¼ cup of mayonnaise
– 4 burger buns
– Wakame salad
– Toasted sesame seeds
– 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
– Salt and pepper
– Throw all the ingredients into a food processor except the shrimp and corn starch
– Mix until thoroughly finely chopped
– Add shrimp and corn starch and mix 5-10 times
– Shape mixture into patties around ¾ inch thick and place on wax paper
– Coat in oil
– Cook either in sauce pan or on grill on medium heat for 5-6 minutes
– Mix mayo and sriracha and spread inside buns
– Place burgers in buns and top with sesame seeds and wakame
It’s great to eat healthy with seaweed, and all seaweed is good. But some is just better!
Seaweed & Co distributes the finest quality seaweed sourced from the pure waters of the Scottish Outer Hebrides. Their Hebridean Ascophyllum seaweed is highly scalable, traceable and sustainable, and ensures the most health benefits from every batch.